The Times

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Blogger+James+Campbell+addresses+the+serious+question+of+the+consequences+and+challenges+of+too+much+homework.+
Blogger James Campbell addresses the serious question of the consequences and challenges of too much homework.

Photo Courtesy of Dork Diaries.com

Photo Courtesy of Dork Diaries.com

A major problem that most students face is dealing with lots of homework while doing extra activities outside of school. Teachers plan homework according to their schedules and do not realize that some students do not have enough time to do all of  their homework which can lower students’ grades.

Final exams are no exception. In fact, teachers usually give out more homework right before finals, which harms students’ grades and attitudes.

Scouting, sports, clubs, and other activities remain important to student’s lives. Cultivating leadership plays an important role in a lot of these activities, so it is  hard for a student to miss the activity without it harming their fellow participants.

Statistics show that homework overload can make students nervous, affect their responsibilities, and can even create an emotional burden. Too much homework is a serious issue because if a student gets too much homework they have a tendency to stay up later to finish it which will affect the student’s performance in school the next day.

Granted, there are also statistics that show that students can benefit from homework, but not an overload. Homework can help students understand a topic or even help their grades if the complete it.

A homework overload can hurt part of a student’s life by adding pressure, nervousness, and the burden of the consequences of NOT finishing it. Students stay up late to finish, skip important things, and even make poorer grades from doing homework instead of studying.

1 Comment

One Response to “Homework Overload Drags Students Down”

1. Christy Hanzuk on September 28th, 2014 9:35 pm

I am a Junior High student and I find myself spending five hours on homework some nights! its ridiculous, and the worst part is that no one does anything about it at my school. My friend’s mom went to talk to our principal about the homework overload, and she was told that our school’s students are supposed to only have up to two and a half or three hours of homework everyday from Monday to Thursday. As for Fridays, we’re only supposed to have math and any big projects. its a good thing, but the second part is that any students who have homework that exceeds the daily limits are supposed to talk their teachers about it, but no one speaks up. Why? Because there is no difference in the homework. The teachers try or at least say that they’ll try to lessen our homework but nothing usually happens. I think that the teachers generally do care about our homework and stress levels, but they don’t change the homework plans because they too have too much on their plates. But the reverse of it is that the only reason they have too much to deal with is because they give out too much homework in the first place; whatever they hand out gives us students stress, and once we finish it, they have the stress of grading every paper.This is why they don’t always act on their word of changing homework levels. I am an honor’s student and I am also the Junior High President of my school. I didn’t let myself try out for the volleyball team this year and I have to miss games because I’m constantly caught up in homework. Sometimes I just want to pause my life and just go be a kid and have fun, but I know that if I did, I wouldn’t be doing my job. Notice that I said “…doing my job.” instead of “…doing my part.” I wrote that because I basically do have a mini job. I’m tied to the weight of not knowing what it’s like to relax again. I know that I put the extra homework on my plate, which is why I can’t do fun kid stuff, but I did it so that I could improve my school. I took on the extra stuff because no one else would. I ran un-opposed in the election and the honor’s classes are what I need to be doing since my mom didn’t want me to skip a grade. Part of why I chose to tackle the extra responsibilities is because I know it’s setting up my future, the other part is because I want to be the difference in the lives of the other kids at my school; I want to be the one to step out and fix things like homework and stress overload. if I can, I will, and even if it means being “that girl” at school who doesn’t let other kids cuss and stuff, oh well! I probably have as much homework as two students. It stresses me out so much that I cried at Applebee’s last week, my science teacher notices my perkiness difference from last year, and my aunt is worried that I could go into depression. there is just so much homework that I’m going to do the extra work to ensure that it won’t always be that way. No kid should ever be unsuccessful at anything because of too much homework. It’s unacceptable!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Extra-Curricular Activities

Carving Out His Future

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Showcase

Code Hacker Wants to Crack Code

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Careers

Fall Into Autumn’s Path

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Showcase

Caring for a Better World

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Blogs

Communicating the Future

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Showcase

The Future of Healthcare

• Showcase

Pre-Beginning of a Business

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Extra-Curricular Activities

Tumbling Into Healthcare

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Careers

Changing Lives

• Homework Overload Drags Students Down

Dual Enrollment

A Step in The Right Direction

The student news site of Central Educational Center
Homework Overload Drags Students Down