The Times

Tumbling Into Healthcare

East Coweta senior, Abby Smith, plans on getting a cheerleading scholarship then plans to attend nursing school. This is Smith's last picture before transcending her dream. Photo by Timeless photography.

Timeless Photography

After hearing someone at her school, East Coweta HS senior Abigail (Abby) Smith was interested to join CEC during her junior year taking intro to Healthcare and work-based learning classes. 

“In five years from now, I see myself graduating from Shorter University,” Smith explains when asked about her future, “Securing a job in Healthcare and starting a family of my own.” By taking another step into her Healthcare career, Smith is now taking Essentials to Healthcare at CEC where she could investigate and volunteer more in the field of Healthcare.

Smith has 2 older twin sisters that are 21 years old, three brothers at the ages of 20, 25, and 26. She takes a work-based learning class where she has to work certain hours for her elective credits. Smith also likes hiking and enjoys going to the beach. She is planning to achieve a full ride scholarship for cheerleading to either Shorter, Oklahoma State, or Davenport University.

“When my mother passed away, the closest people I had with me was my twin sisters who were always there for me,” Smith revealed. “This tragedy helped me become the stronger person I am today.”

During Smith’s childhood, she lost her mother at age twelve. Her two older sisters, Haley and Kelsey, stayed by her side and helped her through this tough time. Smith grew an extremely close bond with her sisters, while they were all staying strong.

“I want to get a full ride scholarship in cheerleading,” Smith states. “With the choice between Shorter University, Oklahoma State University, and Davenport University.”

Smith participates in competitive cheer and she cheers for the Newnan Southern Stars. Those Universities are her tops pick but she would accept any scholarship from any other colleges or universities.

“A big part of my childhood was gymnastics,” Smith describes. “I participated in it for eight years and reached level 9 out of 10.”

Before changing over to cheerleading, Smith dedicated a huge amount of her time into practicing at the gym. Her favorite event was floor and beam which she has earned many awards in these events. A big achievement Smith accomplished was winning the Coach’s Award.

“My role model is my older step-sister, Amber,” Smith claimed, “She is an LPN and is a single mother with a 7-year-old daughter.”

Smith is inspired by Amber’s strength and achievements. Seeing that being a single mother was already hard enough, and Amber still manages to be a nurse. Smith wants to follow in her footsteps of becoming a nurse in the future. 

Smith ended the interview with a memorable statement; “So far school and being an athlete has taught me to be successful by having to push myself to the best I can, and staying on top of things so that my dreams can become a reality.”