The Times

Communicating the Future

Naiya Pittman, a senior at Newnan High, wants to major in communications, as well as film for her future career. 
This is her riding to success.

Naiya Pittman

Naiya Pittman, a senior at Newnan High, wants to major in communications, as well as film for her future career. This is her riding to success.

Naiya Pittman, a senior at Newnan High, is taking classes for her unique interests in communications and film. She enjoys filming related experiences and “would like it as a career.”

Because of how great she is doing in school, she believes that she “will be in a communications and film job in the next five to ten years.” Due to her beliefs, Pittman is determined to get a job in communications and film, so she has been taking classes in and out of high school to gain experience and knowledge required to achieve her goal.

Pittman is taking these six classes to aid her goal: Introduction to graphics (graphic design), intro. to arts, string techniques, international business, film and broadcasting, and JAVAscript programming.

She has many unique and surprising personality traits as well as interests that you may not expect. For example, she is in marching band to fill in her “feel for music” and volunteers for a church service to help the victims of hurricane Harvey and the destruction that it caused. She believes that helping others is an important trait to have and would also like to get more closely tied-into her church and its members.

Pittman also has a few other new things about her. For one, her main motive for coming to CEC is for the communications classes. She would like to be in a career later in her life that includes this as well as television, film, etc. Pittman stated that she came to CEC to “broaden her abilities in communications.” 

Pittman has many cool, post-graduation plans including going to college at Mercer and Georgia State, and majoring in communications and while there; She also wants to minor in film studies. Another experience that she is also considering is “being an author.”

Pittman does marching band at Newnan High School because to her, marching band “helps her create relationships and get closer to other people.” She considers her marching bandmates as “one big family” and would only like to make her relationships between her mates better and more improved.

One thing interesting that Pittman has about her is her family. She was raised by a single mom with  her brother, Juan Roach. While Pittman had learned of a more laid back lifestyle, her brother got the more serious tone and their mother was a mix of the both.

Her dad moved out in Pittman’s early life to Chicago, Illinois and her two brothers and sisters have already moved out to start their own lives; she is the youngest. While her brothers are serious and major in engineering at Tuskegee and Columbus Universities, she is unsure what or where her sisters are and/or do. This is what Pittman’s family is like.

While Pittman seems to be very successful, she wants to give back to her community and thank former teachers. One such teacher that she would like to give a shout-out to is her 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Samiha Alexander of Western Elementary School. Mrs. Alexander shaped her into working harder, and becoming the person she is today.

Pittman’s mother has also shaped her into who she is today. “Shes very strong,” Pittman says. “She raised us as a single mom with kidney problems.”

Mariama Marbel, Pittman’s friend, helped her with many things. Even though Marbel moved away, Pittman still considers her a very close friend. They have balanced out interests, which makes them a perfect team.

Pittman also tells us about her high school experience. She tells us that “It’s a huge experience because the schools are bigger and there are many new people.” “High school also has a lot more homework,” she states.

Pittman is a very interesting person, she has many hobbies, and wants to do great things with her future.