The student news site of Central Educational Center

The Times

Filed under Showcase

CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Ms. Debbie Stern, the Aviation teacher at CEC, teaches a diverse group of students. Two of her students, Cole Merry, 10th grade, and Robert Theiss, 9th grade, have given us an inside look at Ms. Stern’s class. Merry describes the class as a “first hand experience where you learn how the airplanes work and what they actually are.”

Theiss explains that in this class, he is on the road to receiving his pilot license. To obtain the license, he has to go through “ground training by taking Fundamentals of Aerospace and Flight Ops 1 and 2.” Merry added on by stating, “You also have to go through hands on training with an instructor.”

When asked to describe Aviation in three words, Merry answered, “enjoyable, intriguing, and entertaining,” while Theiss stated, “insightful, preparing, and inspiring.”

“We are learning so much more, and flying is a lot different than riding in a car,” Theiss explains. “We work on the simulators, learn about taxing and taking off, and discover what it feels like to fly a plane.”

We asked Merry and Theiss to give us three good reasons why people should take this class, and they answered: “The experience, you learn a lot of life lessons in this class. The knowledge that it gives you; it inspires you to learn the concepts. It prepares you for the future, because it creates pilots of the future and ‘sparks a flame inside you’.”

Merry related the individual projects they complete in Fundamentals of Aerospace. “We go online and look at an airplane we like. We research information on the plane, such as how far it can climb and how far it can fly.”

Overall, Merry and Theiss really enjoy the CEC and the Aviation class. Merry declared that in Aviation, “You get to communicate and be friends with people from other schools.” Aviation is a great class to look into!

1 Comment

One Response to “CEC Students Landing in Aviation”

1. Chris on September 1st, 2017 9:34 am

I chose aviation because I want to become a fighter pilot for the U.S. Airforce. I find this opportunity for learning the necessary skills very cool and hope to learn lots from the aviation class! I also think that becoming a U.S. Airforce pilot would be really awesome and can’t wait to learn more! Stay awesome CEC!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Extra-Curricular Activities

Carving Out His Future

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Showcase

Code Hacker Wants to Crack Code

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Careers

Fall Into Autumn’s Path

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Showcase

Caring for a Better World

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Blogs

Communicating the Future

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Showcase

The Future of Healthcare

• Showcase

Pre-Beginning of a Business

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Extra-Curricular Activities

Tumbling Into Healthcare

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Careers

Changing Lives

• CEC Students Landing in Aviation

Dual Enrollment

A Step in The Right Direction

CEC Students Landing in Aviation