The student news site of Central Educational Center

The Times

Filed under Careers, Showcase

Making an Investment in Education

Ms. Deborah Butcher is a CEC elective director who teaches classes in the fields of business, specifically entrepreneurship, marketing, and international business. “I have a background in business – I worked in business for many years. I had always thought I wanted to teach one day, and I chose to teach business to help students learn about things that actually happen in the real world, not just material out of a textbook,” Butcher says.

Before beginning her teaching career, Butcher was a contractor in the Army Reserve. After moving from the reserve to the classroom, the business director has been teaching for a total of ten years. This year is her fourth year at CEC. “CEC is great, definitely the best place in the county to teach,” Butcher states.

Butcher says that CEC’s environment is different from that at a base school. “I think it’s the freedom to do hands-on activities and not sticking to traditional teaching methods.”

Even if you’re not interested in going into business after your school career, Butcher believes that she has a lot to offer. “Absolutely come to my class if you’re going to business, definitely choose entrepreneurship if you want to start your own business, and just overall, understanding business makes you a better consumer and a better employee.” The number one thing that Butcher teaches her students is to set goals and to work towards them.

After working in the Army Reserve and teaching for ten years, Butcher has decided to retire at the end of this school year. She plans to do lots of travel and to enjoy it along the way. “As far as school, my goal is to just finish out this last semester with some fun.”