The student news site of Central Educational Center

The Times

Filed under Features, Student Life

Nursing The New Generation

Northgate High School’s Maya Yancey originally came to CEC for the smaller classes, but later fell in love with nursing and now wants to be a neonatal nurse. This change of course came after she took the nursing classes.

“Nursing was something that I never thought of doing,” said Yancey, “It all started when I first took the nursing class.” She fell in love with the nursing class because “…nursing is one of the few careers that will not be the same thing every day.” Also, in the fall semester she interned at Piedmont Hospital where quadruplets were naturally born, which is a 1-in- 700,000 chance. Yancey commented,” It is a once in a lifetime experience. ”  

Yancey came to CEC because she thought she would get a better learning experience in the smaller classes. “Smaller classes are something that I cherish. I dislike larger classes because I don’t like feeling as if I am just another person in a class.¨

Yancey plans on going to Jacksonville State in Alabama to get her nursing degree and become a neonatal nurse, where she will work with newborn children. “Babies are so cute! Being one of the first ones to hold and care for them would just make me really happy and proud.”

Yancey has two siblings. One older, one younger, and one on the way. She also has a dog named Elliott. Her oldest sibling is 19 and her younger sibling is 15. She claims that her siblings are “…very close to her” and she is “…looking forward to having a new member in the family.”

When Yancey is not doing homework, working, or attending school, she finds herself watching Nicholas Sparks movies, reading, watching Fuller House, or listening to music. Yancey also loves hanging out with friends and going to the movies.

Her favorite sports team is the Georgia Bulldogs. When asked why, she simply stated, “They’re good and the dog is cute”. Her favorite quote is, “ Be your own kind of beautiful.” She said she liked it because ” It makes me feel like I can be myself anywhere I am.” When asked what fictional character she would describe herself as, she stated,”I would be Minnie Mouse because I wish I was always happy like her!”

Overall, Yancey is a young, happy-go-lucky young lady with a bright future. With the world at her feet, she will bring the new generation of children to this world and care for every child born in Newnan.