The student news site of Central Educational Center

The Times

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Curing the Kids of Tomorrow

NHS+senior+K%27Mara+Stinson+practices+her+nursing+skills+on+her+neighbor+Ciara+Godfrey.+
NHS senior K'Mara Stinson practices her nursing skills on her neighbor Ciara Godfrey.

CarLes Stinson

CarLes Stinson

Newnan High School student K’Mara Stinson is a senior who takes a few classes at CEC to get a head start on her career as a pediatric nurse.

“I came to CEC to take Nursing Aide and Advanced British Literature this year,” she said. Previously, Stinson has taken the following CEC courses: Introduction to Health Care, Family Consumer Science, Food Science, and Food for Life.

After school, Stinson goes to varsity cheerleading practice. “On Fridays, I cheer for NHS at the Friday night football games.” On Wednesday nights she goes to tumbling practice. She also runs track.

Stinson has four older brothers. Her oldest brother is a flight attendant, the second oldest is in the Navy, the third oldest went to Middle Georgia State University (MGSU)  and Stinson wants to follow in his footsteps and go to MGSU as well. Her youngest brother went to Reinhardt, which is a private Christian college in Waleska, Georgia. “I want to follow in my mother’s footsteps and become a nurse,” she said.

Stinson’s life changing moment was when her grandmother passed away, but she credits her family with helping her through the loss. “ I want to give a shout out to my mother for raising me correctly and my brothers for always being there when I need them,” she said.

“My post-graduation plans are to go to either Kennesaw State University or Middle State Georgia University.” She then plans to earn her registered nursing degree so she can become a nurse.

In five to ten years Stinson sees herself as a college  graduate, working in a doctor’s office or hospital working with kids.  Or, “mMaybe married and working in the medical field,” she said.