The student news site of Central Educational Center

The Times

Filed under Features, Showcase

Rehabilitating The Future

Northgate High School student Neria Townes hopes to pursue a career as a rehabilitation therapist.

Janessa Manzanillo

Janessa Manzanillo

Northgate High School’s Neria Townes came to CEC for the academic classes to help her get a head start on her future. Townes wants to be a rehabilitation therapist after high school because she wants to help people.

“I find rehabilitation therapy interesting and I have ‘healing hands’. I am not afraid of touching people- not trying to be weird or anything.” Townes said. She is also considering being a psychologist. “I also find that subject interesting. I just don’t know yet.” Townes said.

After school, Townes runs track, draws, writes, and hangs out with her friends. She has one twin sister who also goes to Northgate High School, and attended CEC for her junior year. Townes enjoys CEC and says, “It’s just all around a great atmosphere.”

Townes’  greatest obstacle that she has overcome happened in her eighth grade year. Her parents temporarily split and divorced a year later, soon after, her mother died. “Even though it was hard on me, I think this set the tone for my later self-empowering years,” she said.

She would like to give shout outs to Mrs. Ramsay her NGHS counselor, Mrs. Holbrook her vision teacher, and Mrs. James her 11th grade Northgate math teacher for helping her get through these tough times and believing in her.

As she approaches graduation, Townes will begin applying for college. “I hope to get into Georgia State,” Townes said “It seems to be the right school for me.”

Overall, Townes is a happy, positive young woman who sees herself traveling the world, finishing college and looking for a place to settle down in the years ahead.