The Times

Filed under Blogs, Features, Showcase

Call to Truth: Violent Games Not to Blame

Contrary+to+popular+belief%2C+statistics+exist+which+show+that+video+games+like+%22Call+of+Duty%22+that+are+violent+do+not+necessarily+promote+violence.+
Contrary to popular belief, statistics exist which show that video games like

Contrary to popular belief, statistics exist which show that video games like "Call of Duty" that are violent do not necessarily promote violence.

Google Images

Google Images

Do violent video games cause violence in real life? Many video game opponents think so. Healthline reported, “playing for at least two or more hours is linked more strongly to depression.” Other studies on Vox.com have shown that “people who have played Grand Theft Auto V were more likely to cheat in a raffle and commit aggressive acts toward others.”

As a gamer myself, it makes me irritated to see that many video game opponents use the “violence” excuse when studies have yet to establish a definitive link, but rather are using only circumstantial evidence.

I have played and continue to play violent video games. While I do get angry, it is only because I am having a hard time understanding the mechanics of a game. Interestingly, a study from the University of Oxford showed that video game players who could not work the controls were prone to hostile actions, regardless of whether the game itself was violent. Researchers suggested that, “the feeling of aggression stems from not feeling in control or powerful.”

Contrary to popular belief, the existence of violent video games has been shown to decrease juvenile crime figures. In 2003, when the original Call of Duty game was released, there were about six homicides or murders per 100,000 residents. In 2010, when Call of Duty: Black Ops was released that number had dropped to only 5.3 homicides per 100,000 residents.

In 2007, a study done by the Journal of Adolescent Health more than 45% of boys who played violent video games said it helped them release their anger and another 62% said it helped them relax. These statistics help prove that violent video games do not always cause violence.

In conclusion, violent video games are not all bad. While playing violent video games can fuel conflict and hostility, it should not be the main reason behind a crime. “Finding that a young man who committed a violent crime also played a popular video game, such as Call of Duty, Halo, or Grand Theft Auto, is as pointless as pointing out that the criminal also wore socks” said Gamespot. No matter what studies show, I will always have fun with the games I play.

1 Comment

One Response to “Call to Truth: Violent Games Not to Blame”

1. Carl on February 22nd, 2016 9:35 am

Though video games may not be the reason behind criminal acts, there is sufficient evidence to say it is related to violence. Being more violent can have a negative impact on peoples’ lives, and I would not suggest it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Call to Truth: Violent Games Not to Blame

Careers

Powering Her Way to Progamming

Extra-Curricular Activities

Accounting For His Future

Extra-Curricular Activities

Graduates looking to Construct a Cooler Future

Extra-Curricular Activities

Changing the World One Knucklehead at the Time

Extra-Curricular Activities

Game Designing a High Tech Future

Showcase

Nursing the Universe

Extra-Curricular Activities

Flying Into Construction

Showcase

Programming Paves the Path of His Future

Extra-Curricular Activities

Welding A New Way

Careers

Amazing Hayes Anchors Aweigh

The student news site of Central Educational Center